obsolete again. Instead we recommend the PRE600
, which again is the same internals and maker as the RCA was.
Update: Although the RCA branded version is obsolete forever, we have tracked this preamp down to the exact manufacturer! Now we can bring you the exact same preamp. The only difference is that it does not say RCA and it has a 2 prong power plug. Finally, it now comes with a thumbscrew for the ground wire on your turntable.
FEB 2007 Now obsolete forever! Please view our 'related products' section below for current preamps available.
Free shipping in USA only. Int'l: select global priority mail.
This device allows you to use a turntable on your computer or 'newer' type stereo system that doesn't have an input specifically labeled "PHONO". Plugging your turntable directly into an input other than one labeled PHONO, will cause symptoms such as extremely low, muffled or distorted audio. Once you install this device between the turntable and an available input on your existing stereo, such as CD, TAPE IN, AUX, or similar, you will once again hear the audio from your turntable coming thru crisp and clean at a normal volume level. The left and right inputs on the phono pre-amp, pictured above, connect to the turntable, and the outputs go over to your modern stereo or computer sound card. BTW a USB audio adaptor for your computer will not solve your problem. Your standard soundcard and editing software will do all the analog to digital conversion you will need once you get the signal amplified to 'line' level with this preamp.
Hurry this item is still in stock but DISCONTINUED-LIMITED TO STOCK ON HAND!
- 30Hz-20KHz response
- RIAA ready!
- 6mV input produces 500mV out
- 50Kohm impedance
- SN ratio at least 60dB
- Uses standard 120VAC 3 PRONG GROUNDED OUTLET
- For use with amplifers/recievers without a magnetic phono preamp.
- Provides solid grounding to help eliminate 60Hz hum common in TT hookups.
- 3-prong plug won't block nearby outlets. The 12v wall adaptor on many similar units will likely block an additional outlet. And the competition has no wall outlet grounding.
- RCA quality.
- Installation phone support by a repair technician, (ask for Steve)
- but best of all.......If you find this elsewhere on the web they will brag about the RCA lifetime warranty, BUT RCA no longer supports this I guess 'cause they incorrectly discontinued this preamp. So, we, AVCR Electronics, having repaired consumer electronics since 1990 will give you our own 1 year warranty against any RCA manufacturing defect. And repair/replace your unit free of charge. So if you are having trouble, after checking with the troubleshooting guidline below, make sure to call before returning your preamp so we can troubleshoot your issue over the phone.
Are you getting a 60hz hum when the phono preamp is hooked into your receiver/computer?
- Make sure it is NOT hooked into a 'PHONO' input it is designed to hook into 'TAPE CD AUX' etc inputs!
- Make sure your house outlet is grounded properly with a little 3 PRONG plugin tester from radio shack or a hardware store.
- Make sure you are connecting the third grounding wire coming out of the turntable to the external METAL framework of your receiver or computer.
- If you get a loud hum when hookin up only the preamp to your receiver/computer, this does not indicate a fault in the RCA preamp. Many electronic circuits require something called 'termination' When the inputs of an amp or preamp are 'floating' then the output will reflect this.
For software recommendations please checkout the article.
Where you will also find us recommended under our previous site name of turntablebelts.com
This RCA to 3.5mm plug is what you will need for your computer hookup.
And here it is in action!
We also have a regular 'RCA' to 'RCA' 3ft patch cord to connect the output of the pre-amp to your stereo. If you don't have any additional 'RCA' type stereo patch cords sitting around you may wish to have us send one along with your new preamp. Just $2 will save you some lookin or a trip to the store.