Consider our Disco Antistat Record Washer for better value and performance vs. the Spin-Clean Record Washer.
The Disco-Ansistat kit consists of:
- Wash housing basin with permanent goat hair brushes.
- Label protecting clamshell with axis for 7"(45rpm large hole), 10", and 12" records. (Not for 16" records)
- Filtered funnel to allow re-use of your cleaning fluid if desired.
- Drip-dry rack with catch basin for up to 15 records of any size. (see video for tips)
SHIPPING: Int'l orders outside the USA, you must select "US Priority Mail Intl LARGE BOX" during checkout.
If you are not sure that a cleaning brush will do the job and don't want to jump up to a $500 or $2000 vacuum cleaning machine then this solution deserves strong consideration. The Disco-Antistat Record Washing System is made in Germany. Due to import hassles, we chose not import the solution! We love providing innovative solutions so let's not risk an alcohol spill at the post office and at the same time save you $20-$65 [at press time] compared to the Spin-Clean Record Washer product by mixing your own solution. Only 4oz or 36oz of solution are included with the other guys. Then another $9.99 for each additional 8oz. OR you can mix your own solution by reading this >>>> Record Cleaning Devices and Fluids
<<<< article. With a trip to your local hardware store you can mix your own expert-sourced solution for far less. Many caution against "rubbing" alcohol because some brands might contain a sort of lanolin grease.
- We include free Priority Mail in USA only.
- We removed the cleaning solution (see above).
- 78rpm (non-vinyl) shellac or lacquer records require alcohol-free cleaning fluid. For shellac or lacquer, alcohol = instant death.
- 78's can be cleaned with a few drops of plain (no additives) Ivory or Ajax dish liquid with distilled water.
- We added an O-ring seal option above to help protect the label if desired. The Spin-Clean Record Washer has moderate protection of the label against solution falling/dripping down onto the label as the record rotates. The clamp included in the Disco-Antistat kit provides incidental protection for 90% of the label. Adding our two round belts to the groove around the clamp presses the round belts right up against the record and seals the label for 99% protection of the label. If the belt-sealed clamp is taken off immediately after removing the record from the cleaning solution, some solution may still drip down on the label. Use good judgement.
- Unlike the other guys, the brushes cannot be swapped out. In the unlikely event that the goat hair brushes wear out, as of the time of this writing (Nov. 2010) the basin alone can be special ordered separately. Rotate the records both clock and counter-clockwise. This prevents the hairs from potentially becoming matted down. (we have not observed this occur in our limited use.) Some have observed the foam in the felt pad of the other guys will collapse or compress.
- Unlike the other guys, the bottom of the basin is free of nooks n crannies to provide trouble-free cleanup.
- The factory set gap between the brushes is proper for normal record thickness. It will be more difficult to rotate a 180 gram record.
- Unlike the other guys, this kit does not have drying cloths because alcohol based solutions with a drying rack can air dry. This avoids possibly introducing cloth particulates back on the record.
- Kit is probably not dishwasher safe!
- For a more detailed write-up on the subject of cleaning records we found this page to be very good.
- Using the Disco-Ansistat kit in a very well ventilated area.
- Use coffee filters in the provided funnel if you choose to re-use your solution.
- Make your own cleaning solution per above link. (Label and store it carefully/wisely/cautiously.)
- Use only distilled or reverse osmosis water in your solution and for rinsing off the kit when done.
- If you got this far, watch the video below before purchase.